CD-Roms form a very valuable and often under-rated part of the family history collection at the Central Auckland Research Centre. We have 6 sets of 8-drawer cabinets filled with them.
Typically they hold databases, or they might be published family histories saved as pdfs. Either way they are very searchable and hold a mine of information often not found online or in a book.
Sometimes these CD-Roms have replaced the microfiche of old.
Here are a selection of CD-Roms that have recently been added to our collection:
New ZealandCall number Title
- 2 NZL BDM CBY: Lyttelton Times’ births, deaths and marriages 1851-1891
- 2 NZL ELE: New Zealand Elections: Five Significant Rolls 1881, 1893, 1896, 1911, 1925
- 2 NZL MIL: New Zealand World War I Service Personnel & Reserves Index
You'll note that, as with other New Zealand family history resources, these CD-Roms are also available at our other Research Centres, and also some of our community libraries.
Non-New Zealand CD-Roms form part of the international family history collection held within the Central Auckland Research Centre at Central City Library:
EnglandCall number Title
- 4 ENG BDM SFK: Little Saxham Parish Registers 1559-1850
- 4 ENG BDM WLT: Wiltshire Parish Registers, Marriages
- 4 ENG CEN DOR: 1891 Dorset Census
14 directories of Yorkshire (Leeds, Bradford, the Ridings, Hull) including these highlights:
- 4 ENG DIR YKS: 1863 Mercantile Directory of Bradford
- 4 ENG DIR YKS: 1851 History & Directory Of the Woollen & Worsted Trade
IrelandCall number Title
- 4 IRL CEN: Census reports for all the counties 1851-1911 (search using call number for a list of each county)
- 4 IRL CIV: Numbers of Persons Committed or Held to Bail for Trial, 1852
- 4 IRL WIL: Index of Irish Wills, 1484-1858
South AfricaCall number Title
An overview of the Transvaal and the Boer War, including the history of the Boers, and hundreds of photos.
As well as our catalogue, we also have a pdf index of our CD-Rom collection that is kept regularly updated. Please feel free to download the full list.